Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Bavarian Alps, part II

While hiking around a lake north of Mittenwald, we saw some Grass Snakes. My goal was to take pictures of a melanistic specimen… and I got them, from a distance and in difficult light though, so not the best quality. Still my first pictures of a black Grass Snake in Germany. A little unexpectedly I found a male Sand Lizard at a height of about 1.5 meters (5 ft) climbing a tree.

Natrix natrix - Grass Snake

Portrait of this strikingly beautiful snake

Natrix natrix - Grass Snake, melanistic

Lacerta agilis - Sand Lizard


One of the most famous bavarian lakes is the Eibsee. It is located at the northerly base of the Zugspitze (the highest mountain in Germany). The scenery is absolutely stunning! Around the trails of the Eibsee we observed several Sand Lizards (Lacerta agilis). They were not shy at all, so I was able to take some wide angle in situ pictures of them. Samira had to be very patient, because I wanted to stay with the lizards almost all day. Later I found a Slow Worm (Anguis fragilis) in the more shady areas of the forest around the lake.

Eibsee

Lacerta agilis - Sand Lizard, female

Lacerta agilis - Sand Lizard, male



Happy couple posing with Cosima (travel mascot)

Slow Worm - Anguis fragilis


No comments:

Post a Comment