Monday, May 6, 2019

Scaly Emerald

Lacerta viridis - European Green Lizard

The German name of the European Green Lizard (Lacerta viridis) is "Smaragdeidechse", which translates to "Emerald Lizard". Both names fit very well and so the coloration of this handsome reptile is not really a suprise. 

Lacerta viridis - European Green Lizard

Compared to the Dalmatian Wall Lizard (Podarcis melisellensis) in the top left corner, the Emerald Lizard looks huge.

Lacerta viridis - European Green Lizard

Lacerta viridis - European Green Lizard

I carefully sneaked up to a nicely colored male specimen. I got very close and took a bunch of pictures.

Lacerta viridis - European Green Lizard

After proving my patience, I was lucky too: My bright green model was not only used to my presence, it was obviously even bored - and yawned! This observation and a collection of great pictures made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment