Thursday, May 2, 2019

One week in Croatia, part I

For the past few months, I have been working as a naturalist guide in Costa Rica and so nature has been my "office". Before I have to go back to a regular office, working as a graphic designer, I spent one week in Croatia... an European paradise for herping and nature photography.

Habitat

Podarcis siculus campestris - Italian Wall Lizard

The Italian Wall Lizard (Podarcis siculus campestris) is very photogenic. I saw many of these pretty lizards. Luckily they are not very shy and they can even be curious.

Testudo hermanni "hercegovinensis" - Dalmatian tortoise

Dalmatian Tortoise (Testudo hermanni boettgeri var. hercegovinensis) is a subspecies of Hermann's Tortoise. This tortoise is spread east of the Adriatic in parts of the former Dalmatia, the Croatian coastal regions, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Montenegro, the northernmost habitat of tortoises in Europe.

Balkan Whip Snake - Hierophis gemonensis

The Balkan Whip Snake (Hierophis gemonensis) is in my opinion one of the most underrated snakes. It has a wide range and is common within much of its range. Nevertheless, I think it's a beautiful snake!

Limenitis reducta - Southern White Admiral

I am mainly looking for reptiles, but with the macro ready, I always enjoy seeing some insects. The Southern White Admiral (Limenitis reducta) has a wingspan of approximately 50 mm.

Pseudopus apodus - European Legless Lizard

The European Legless Lizard or Sheltopusik (Pseudopus apodus)  consumes arthropods, snails and slugs, and even small mammals.

Habitat

Emys orbicularis - European Pond Terrapin

The European Pond Terrapin (Emys orbicularis) is very shy, so you have to approach them slowly and carefully to take some pictures.

Hyla arborea - European Tree Frog

Mainly due to the loss of breeding habitats, the European Tree Frog (Hyla arborea) displays a considerable decline in West and Central Europe. Luckily in Croatia I found some of these beautiful frogs in their perfect habitats.

Natrix natrix persa - Balkan Grass Snake

I was able to watch this juvenile Balkan Grass Snake (Natrix natrix persa) hunting for tadpoles.

No comments:

Post a Comment