Monday, March 4, 2019

Variable Viper

I already mentioned it in my post about the Camouflage Viper: Eyelash Vipers (Bothriechis schlegelii) are extremely variable in coloration. Here I want to share some examples of color morphs with you.

Bothriechis schlegelii - Eyelash Viper

This pale green coloration seems to be quite common. I have seen this juvenile Viper near La Fortuna.

Bothriechis schlegelii - Eyelash Viper "oropel"

When I am searching for gold in the rainforest, I am not talking about precious metals. In spanish this yellow color morph is called "oropel" (tinsel / gold).

Bothriechis schlegelii - Eyelash Viper

This light-brown to salmon colored Eyelash Viper was coiled up on a leaf of a Panama Hat Plant (Carludovica palmata), next to the trail in Cahuita National Park.

Bothriechis schlegelii - Eyelash Viper

I have never seen another viper in this extremely bright color. The camouflage is actually very good, because the snake looked pretty much like the lichens on the branches.

Bothriechis schlegelii - Eyelash Viper "christmas tree"

I conclude with my favorite: The "christmas tree" color morph. Such a stunning snake!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful vipers. The chameleons of the snakes. They totally adapt to their environment in color. To discover these snakes you need a very well-trained eye. The Oropel does the opposite by going through the bright yellow is particularly noticeable and thus deters their enemies.

    ReplyDelete