Sunday, June 25, 2017

Treasure hunt

I have planned to explore a new destination somewhere not to far away. I used the help of Google Earth. After searching in the vicinity of my home, I found something promising in the distance of approx. 1 hour.


The X marks the spot... so I drove there without any further information and I was not disappointed.

Habitat

The habitat proved to be very beautiful and so I was able to start the search for critters. A pretty semiadult Common Toad (Bufo bufo) made the start. Followed by a young Slow Worm (Anguis fragilis).

Common Toad - Bufo bufo

Slow Worm - Anguis fragilis

At the end of the day trip I discovered gold: this magnificent Barred Grass Snake (Natrix helvetica). It was my first encounter with this species! 

Barred Grass Snake - Natrix helvetica


No comments:

Post a Comment